Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 16:55:07 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 16:29:08 +0300
>
> On 02.05.2020 16:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > You expect the_name_  to tell you all that??  Then what do you think
> > of C library functions like realpath or stpcpy or strpbrk or rpmatch?
>
> Let's please not use the C library as the example of good naming practice.

I wasn't the first to introduce that into this discussion.  People
keep going back to that as an example we should follow.

> > Let's not exaggerate, it is only useful if you want to present an
> > argument ad absurdum.  The world of programming is full of obscure
> > acronyms, and there's nothing we can do about that.
>
> There are more recent popular languages where the situation is much
> better. The author of s.el came from one of them.

I can only talk about the stuff I'm familiar with.  Let others bring
up counter-arguments from other places.  But while doing that, let's
remember to compare the sizes of the languages, because a small enough
language can definitely use an exhaustive list of candidates to the
benefit of the users.