Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 16:26:57 +0200

The command "C-u C-h d regexp RET" brings up 111 matching functions.
Who will have patience looking through that list, unless the likely
candidates are near the beginning?  And this is even before we added
aliases that use the regexp- prefix.

If the goal is to list all the functions related to manipulating the topic of regexp (something like https://docs.python.org/2/library/re.html#regular-_expression_-objects or https://ruby-doc.org/core-2.7.1/Regexp.html), then the search you propose is a poor tool.

It starts with the following list: grep-regexp-alist, gmm-regexp-concat, project-find-regexp, shell-dumb-shell-regexp, rmail-secondary-file-regexp, rmail-user-mail-address-regexp, tramp-file-name-regexp, whitespace-indentation-regexp, project-or-external-find-regexp... All of which are irrelevant to what we search.

What it should list is https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Regexp-Search.html, but also merged with the Match Data documentation, presented in a much more condensed manner, etc.

Philippe