Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 23:19:29 -0400

  > > In general, for the kind of packages that we would
  > > like to include in Emacs, we should push for that kind of solution.

  > I'm not aware of any language server project where its authors would be
  > amenable to including it in Emacs (or even just assigning the copyright
  > to FSF).

You may be right about that.  Also, as someone else pointed out, it
might be nonmodular to include language servers in Emacs at all.

However, that makes me wonder what this scenario really consists of:

  >   I don't think anyone would mind if a
  > package shipped with Emacs automatically downloaded and installed a
  > free language server. (and I haven't actually seen any non-free language
  > servers.)

What is "a package shipped with Emacs", if it does not mean "a part of
Emacs"?  Is there such a thing?  What does "shipped with" mean here?

Anyway, the general idea of package installation in the GNU/Linux
distros I know about is that the _user_ decides when to install a
package.  One package (such as Emacs) has no business trying to
install another package.

So unless said language server is a part of Emacs (which might be
undesirable), nothing "shippped with Emacs" should install it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman