Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 17:32:21 +0300

On 26.04.2020 06:19, Richard Stallman wrote:

However, if the language server is based on LLVM, by suggesting
people install it we would be working towards the replacement
of GNU packages with a non-copylefted competitor.

That isn't immoral, but it is self-defeating.

tsserver is written in JavaScript and runs on Node. Node is released under Apache license, but there are no GNU alternatives for it.

I don't think we have any language servers in GNU either, do we? But when and if an alternative based on GCC appears, we can easily start recommending it instead. LSP is an open protocol.

Until then, alas, AFAIK all such language tooling for editors/IDE/etc out there is based on LLVM or some part of it.