Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 07:33:34 +0000

조성빈 <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> 작성:
>
>> What kind of thing is tsserver?  The word "server" has multiple meanings;
>> in what sense is tsserver a "server"?
>
> It’s a LSP server that responds requests from editors with information about
> types of identifiers, code completion, actions, etc...

Actually, tsserver is not an lsp-server, which is currently adding to
the confusion:
https://github.com/Microsoft/TypeScript/issues/11274

This is kind of a problem, since VsCode implements its own proprietary
server for JavaScript/TypeScript, and also functions as a normal
lsp-compliant editor. Assuming most people use VsCode for web-dev there
is actually a huge user base which is not actively using lsp. This
complicates lsp-development for other editors like emacs and vim. We
have to use either a wrapper server that wraps tsserver to be
lsp-compliant (https://github.com/theia-ide/typescript-language-server)
or create our own tsserver compliant implementation. The latter is what
tide has done as far as I can tell.

Right now the typescript-language-server I linked to is unmaintained,
and was the best implementation around. This affects emacs, since it is
not updated to TS 3.8 yet, and maybe never will.

>> Would it run on the same machine you are editing on, or another machine?
>
> It usually runs on the same machine that the codebase exists.

Yes

Theodor Thornhill