Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 20:07:34 +0200

ndame <address@hidden> writes:

>> The article is here:
>>
>> https://download.blender.org/documentation/pdf/LXF204.feat_3d.5cjt.pdf
>
> That's not it, google found a version, some excerpts:
>
> "Blender developers – would defend the software’s defiantly idiosyncratic UI
> on
> the grounds that ‘different doesn’t always mean worse’. Blender could do
> everything that other 3D packages could, they argued, and given a little time,
> it was possible to adapt your old working methods to a new combination of
> icons,
> keyboard shortcuts and menu commands. But for artists working in visual
> effects
> or game development – notoriously high-pressure industries, particularly when
> deadlines are looming – time is at a premium. Many people who might otherwise
> have loved Blender got no further than its splash screen"

> "Others struck at the heart of Blender veterans’ sense of identity and even
> their muscle memory. In almost every other 3D application, you leftclick to
> select things. In Blender, prior to 2.80, you rightclicked by default.
> Supporters argued that it made for a faster, more precise workflow – but it
> was
> also alien to artists coming to Blender from other software."

> https://www.pressreader.com/australia/linux-format/20191217/281745566267591
>

> There are obvious similarities with Emacs' current situation.
The link from ndame links to is the correct article. I didn't know it
was avialable online.

I forgott to say unfortunately, I am sorry; Linux Format is a payed printed
magazine, so you have to either be a subscriber to read the full article
online, or to buy a paper copy of the magazine. I think it is worth, but
it's a personal choice.