Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 03:13:37 +0300

On 27.04.2020 20:50, ndame wrote:

The article is here:

https://download.blender.org/documentation/pdf/LXF204.feat_3d.5cjt.pdf

That's not it, google found a version, some excerpts:

Yeah, the above is a 5-year old article. But it was interesting too, and especially the emphasis on animators generally needing dedicated training to start being productive.

"Blender developers – would defend the software’s defiantly idiosyncratic UI on the
grounds that ‘different doesn’t always mean worse’. Blender could do everything that
other 3D packages could, they argued, and given a little time, it was possible to adapt
your old working methods to a new combination of icons, keyboard shortcuts and menu
commands. But for artists working in visual effects or game development – notoriously
high-pressure industries, particularly when deadlines are looming – time is at a premium.
Many people who might otherwise have loved Blender got no further than its splash
screen"

"Others struck at the heart of Blender veterans’ sense of identity and even their
muscle memory. In almost every other 3D application, you leftclick to select things. In
Blender, prior to 2.80, you rightclicked by default. Supporters argued that it made for a
faster, more precise workflow – but it was also alien to artists coming to Blender from
other software."

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/linux-format/20191217/281745566267591

That's a very good read. Another quote, not much relevant for Emacs, but it could make for a good promo material for FSF:

“We don’t see open source as free. We see it as free-ing,” says Bell. “You could cer­tainly save money if you wanted to, but I see it as an op­por­tu­nity to take a por­tion of the bud­get and re­di­rect it to our core soft­ware. We truly hope that oth­ers will take the de­vel­op­ment work we’ve put in and push it fur­ther.”

There are obvious similarities with Emacs' current situation.

I also see a lot of parallels between the programs themselves.