Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 11:04:05 +0200

> I appreciate you needing to run in a debug build,

I run a debug build only only when I try to investigate an error
reported on bug-gnu-emacs or when I have to run Emacs under GDB.  Maybe
optimized builds can deliver acceptable behavior now when run under GDB.
But the last time I tried, behavior was not acceptable.  And what about
our advice that users should run Emacs under GDB all the time to detect
the cause of a crash?

> but what sort of
> timing do you get on an optimised build?

An optimized build runs reasonably fast here so I didn't bother so far.

> I think you said you have a state of the art 2007 processor.  Mine is
> from 2017.  Processing power did not speed up by a factor of 100 in that
> period.

That's why I wondered that nobody else sees this problem.  Does really
nobody run a debug build nowadays?

martin