Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 19:40:22 +0200

>> As long as we are not there (and IMO even after that) Emacs should be
>> able to do its SMIE parsing in a practical way: Restrict backward and
>> forward parsing to the smallest reasonable code fragment around point.
>> And reasonable would mean the smallest enclosing fragment delimited by
>> two parens in column zero it can find in either direction (which can be
>> still quite large when viewing functions like redisplay_internal).
>
> Could people refrain from "X should do Y" when they have no idea how
> X currently works?
>
> SMIE's indentation works by parsing backward, so that it stops parsing
> as soon as it found the info needed to determine the indentation to use.
>
> It almost always stops long before reaching the nearest "open paren in
> column 0".

I did interpret Eli's remark about "SMIE-based engines" as the simple
minded approach used by CC-mode which to my knowledge often does not
stop long before reaching the nearest "open paren in column 0".  I did
not intend to relate this to smie.el but it's obvious that I created
that impression.  Sorry for that.

martin