Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 14:22:45 +0300

> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 13:37:08 +0300
>
> > But note that the problem with
> > scrolling happens already with dispextern.h whose size is about a tenth
> > of that of xdisp.c.
>
> Yeah, scrolling performance shouldn't be affected by the size of the
> file anyway.

Scrolling performance _can_ be affected by the size of the buffer
(especially if the major mode's fontifications look far back), but
only when you scroll close to its end.  When you start scrolling from
the beginning, all buffers will behave similarly.  I think what martin
says is that the problem starts happening almost immediately, so being
some relatively short distance from the file's beginning already
produces the slowdown.  Which then will affect smaller files as well,
of course.