Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 22:36:25 -0400

  > Indeed.  And the reverse is true as well: while it might be OK for
  > a user to put his open-parens in column 0 to help Emacs be more
  > responsive, it's not OK for Emacs to be too slow on files where there
  > are no such open-parens in column 0.  So Emacs has to use some other
  > mechanism anyway to avoid the slowdown in such files.

The mechanism it has now is effective only on fast machines.

                                                           Once you have
  > this mechanism in place, the "open-parens in column 0" heuristic is just
  > not worth the trouble any more.

If and when such a mechanism is in place for us free software
activists, we might agree that open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start
is not worth while any more.  But it appears that has not happened
yet, so I think that the open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start guided
heuristic IS still worth while for us.

--
Dr Richard Stallman