Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 11:04:49 +0200

> I also can't imagine how defaulting to nil "would have been completely
> sufficient IMHO": setting the var to nil had been an option for decades
> but it never enjoyed much popularity.

Defaulting to nil would have meant that people who want "correct" syntax
under all conditions would never have to care about this.  OTOH, people
who did care about performance more would have had the possibility to
set this option to non-nil and get the necessary feedback via
font-locking (highlighting open parens in column zero red when they are
in a string or a comment) when they accidentally inserted such a paren
or scrolled into it.  Why was that highlighting functionality removed?

martin