Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2020 23:12:49 -0400

  > > 'open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start', if non-nil, conceptually allows
  > > progmodes to avoid scanning an entire buffer in order to get things like
  > > syntax highlighting and code indenting right.  Rather, progmodes are
  > > allowed to find the first or next paren in column zero wrt a given
  > > position and base further decisions on the assumption that such a paren
  > > is on the "top level" of its buffer.

  > This assumption proved to be very problematic.

Problematic for whom?  I don't see why.

                                                    The fact is, people put
  > parentheses in column zero inside comments, and nothing we can say or do
  > will stop them.  Why should it?

Why would we want to "stop them"?  That feature is/was a _convenience_
for users, a speedup.  If you don't appreciate the speedup, so you decide
not to arrange to get it, why should I argue with you?  I can still benefit
from that speedup in my projects. so I am happy and so are you.

                                     these parentheses are perfectly valid
  > in so many languages.

Nobody said they were "invalid" in any language.  I think we are
miscommunicating.

--
Dr Richard Stallman