Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 22:36:24 -0400

  > >   > This assumption proved to be very problematic.

  > > Problematic for whom?

  > Well, for me for a start.

If it causes a problem only for you personally as a maintainer, I am
sure we could find a way to spare you from spending time on this.  But
I think we are miscommunicating over this.

I understood you to mean "problematic for some people who are doing
some kinds of things with Emacs", so I would like to know what kinds
of things they are.  The answer that is crucial for deciding whether
this problem ought to have been "fixed" or not.

But is that what you meant?  Or did you mean something else?

I get the impression that your analysis of the issue is based on
assuming that open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start defaults to t.
What if it defaulted to nil?  Would that eliminate the problem
you're concerned about?  I think so.

--
Dr Richard Stallman