Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 10:36:27 +0200

> To be accurate, the comment started by '/*' would end at the first occurrence
of '*/' somewhere down the buffer.

If it appears before the open brace in column zero, yes.

> If you insert or close a paren, however, that would definitely change syntax
state at EOB.

It would still only get as far as to the next brace in column zero.

> According to Alan's experiment, you can get this behavior now already simply
by setting comment-use-syntax-ppss to nil and
open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start to t.

> Does it improve your experience significantly?

No.  Fast and imprecise scrolling doesn't improve anything either here.
I'm surprised how people get improved behavior from these.  But I agree
with Stefan to shut up here from now on.  I don't have the time to
conduct an in-depth analysis of this problem and spotting a possible
culprit without such an analysis is, in fact, futile.

martin