Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 23:10:07 -0400

  > > It would scan only from the last open-paren-in-column-zero, as it did
  > > in the past.

  > That would produce incorrect display, as I explained later:

  > >                          A change in a buffer can potentially affect
  > >   > the fontification of the rest of the buffer, and I don't think we
  > >   > would like Emacs to fail to update other windows showing the same
  > >   > buffer

I could not see how that relates to the issue.  That point was not
explicitly stated.  That's why I said it seemed like a change in
topic.

Now you've explained how they relate, so now I understand your point.

I am suggesting that we once again support a mode in which users
signal the start of a defun with an open-delimiter in column zero.
For CC modes, this would have to be explicitly enabled.

If you are editing code written in the usual GNU style
then you can enable that mode and get good results.

If you are editing code NOT written in that style
then don't enable the mode.

--
Dr Richard Stallman