Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 22:54:19 -0400

  > > I'm not suggesting we try to _predict_ the effect on code speed,
  > > rather than we have a guideline to identify the cases where _if_
  > > the code gets slower it would be hard for a user to escape that.
  > >
  > > What we would do, in those cases, is add a switch to turn off
  > > the changes.

  > Without some efficient method of identifying the cases where this is
  > probable, I fear we will have to add such switches for almost every
  > non-trivial change (and for some trivial ones as well).

I am not suggesting that we band over backwards.  But it would be useful
to err on the side of letting people turn these features off.

We don't have to preserve those switches forever.  After the feature
is included in a release for several months, we can ask the users,
"Who finds it useful to disable the XYZ feature?"  If nobody reports a
real need for that switch, we can delete it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman