Re: emacs-26 8f18d12: Improve documentation of decoding into a unibyte b

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs-26 8f18d12: Improve documentation of decoding into a unibyte buffer
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 15:50:16 -0400

> I'm okay with enabling such checks in an Emacs configured with
> '--enable-checking', but not in the production version.  The main
> purpose of a released Emacs is not to expose bugs, it's to allow users
> do whatever they need to do in Emacs, even if it means tolerating some
> bugs.

Yes, as mentioned the default would be nil: there's no point signaling
such errors to an end-user that hasn't specifically asked for such
sanity checks.

I hadn't (and still haven't) considered enabling those checks
when --enable-checking is specified: it might turn out too many false
positives currently.  But I'll keep it in mind.

        Stefan