Re: emacs-26 8f18d12: Improve documentation of decoding into a unibyte b

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-26 8f18d12: Improve documentation of decoding into a unibyte buffer
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 22:09:46 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 14:58:57 -0400
>
> > > I don't think there was much to discuss about it.
> > Unilaterally.
>
> Yes, it's was a clear and simple bug-fix, AFAIK.

We were in the middle of discussing what should be done, so fairness
would have it that a patch should be proposed, not pushed.  Or so I
thought, turns out naïvely.

> > I have nothing against you making these changes locally to catch
> > bugs.  I sometimes do similar things in my locale version of the code.
>
> Yes, and this experience showed me that it's a good practice to follow
> (I don't mean "adding checks" but "align unibyte/multibyte with
> encoded/decoded").
>
> BTW, I think we should add such checks in `master` (but make them
> conditional on a variable like
> `check-encoding/decoding-strictly-for-debugging-purposes` which would
> of course default to nil).

I'm okay with enabling such checks in an Emacs configured with
'--enable-checking', but not in the production version.  The main
purpose of a released Emacs is not to expose bugs, it's to allow users
do whatever they need to do in Emacs, even if it means tolerating some
bugs.