Re: emacs-26 8f18d12: Improve documentation of decoding into a unibyte b

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs-26 8f18d12: Improve documentation of decoding into a unibyte buffer
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 15:13:10 -0400

> Why "most closely"?  Maybe I'm missing something, but I think it
> corresponds exactly.

I'm never sure if it corresponds 100%.

> (I actually prefer using utf-8-emacs-unix, since emacs-internal is an
> alias, and deceptively doesn't mention its EOL conversion.)

`emacs-internal` works both in Emacs-22 and Emacs-25 (and presumably in
Emacs-36 where we'll be using the new quantum-character encoding).
IOW it says precisely what we want: the internal encoding used in the
current version of Emacs.  Whereas utf-8-emacs-unix reads to me as "some
Emacs-specific encoding related to utf-8", so the intention is
less clear.

But either way works, it's a matter of taste,

        Stefan