Re: emacs-26 8f18d12: Improve documentation of decoding into a unibyte b

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-26 8f18d12: Improve documentation of decoding into a unibyte buffer
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 18:11:44 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 07:54:41 -0400
>
> > string-to-unibyte is also marked obsolete.
>
> Not any more:
>
>     ;; We used to declare string-to-unibyte obsolete, but it is a valid
>     ;; (make-obsolete 'string-to-unibyte   "use `encode-coding-string'."
> "26.1")

OK, but how does this affect the issue at hand?  We want to replace
string-as-unibyte, or remove it, and the obsolescence message says to
replace it with encode-coding-string.  So if we cannot remove it for
some reason, it makes more sense to use encode-coding-string.  Either
way, using string-to-unibyte instead sounds less desirable to me.