Re: Issues with quail.el

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Issues with quail.el
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 00:13:09 -0400

Amit Ramon <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Welsh Duggan <address@hidden> [2018-05-08 23:19 -0400]:
>
>>I'm not a quail expert, but I looked through a lot of the code recently
>>to try to figure out how to do something else, so maybe I can figure out
>>how to help here.
>
> Thanks, any help is appreciated.
>

>>> First issue
>>>
>>> Assume that the keyboard layout is set to "atari-german" and that the
>>> input method is "Hebrew". When I type C-h I (thus invoking
>>> "describe-input-method"), the drawing of the keyboard layout is
>>> incorrect. The keys that appear in the shifted level, which should be,
>>> in this input method, similar to those in the standard layout, are
>>> actually taken from the current keyboard layout.
>>
>>Okay, let's verify some things.  When I type
>>`M-x quail-show-keyboard-layout RET atari-german RET', I get the
>>following:
>>
>>Keyboard layout (keyboard type: atari-german)
>>
>>     +----------------------------------------------------------------+
>>     | 1! | 2" | 3§ | 4$ | 5% | 6& | 7/ | 8( | 9) | 0= | ß? | '` | #^ |
>>     +----------------------------------------------------------------+
>>       | qQ | wW | eE | rR | tT | zZ | uU | iI | oO | pP | üÜ | +* |
>>       +------------------------------------------------------------+
>>        | aA | sS | dD | fF | gG | hH | jJ | kK | lL | öÖ | äÄ | ~| |
>>     +--------------------------------------------------------------+
>>     | <> | yY | xX | cC | vV | bB | nN | mM | ,; | .: | -_ |
>>     +------------------------------------------------------+
>>                  +-----------------------------+
>>                  |          space bar          |
>>                  +-----------------------------+
>>

>>Is this what you get as well?
>
> Yes.
>
>>Does this match your actual keyboard?
>
> No, but my actual keyboard isn't atari-german -- I gave it just as an
> example. My physical keyboard is standard English QWERTY keyboard. On
> my Linux system I setup a Dvorak layout. I made tests mostly with my
> Dvorak setup[1] (there are footnotes at the end), but because Dvorak
> keyboard layout is not one of Emacs' defined layouts I used
> atari-german for the example.
>
>>> For example, the Hebrew letter TET is on the (standard) y key, and
>>> pressing this key together with shift when Hebrew input method is
>>> active should produce Y. This works fine when typing, but in the map
>>> drawn by "describe-input-method" the letter that appears on this key
>>> in the shifted state is Z, which is what this key does in
>>> "atari-german" layout. There are some other keys not in the right
>>> place - all those that in "atari-german" have a meaning that is
>>> different than the one in the standard layout.
>>
>>Also to verify, the 'y' key is the one to diagonally down and to the
>>right of the 'a' key?  Like in the layout above?
>
> Yes.
>
>> When I try to recreate what you are showing, I get the following.
>> Does this match?
>>
>>     +----------------------------------------------------------------+
> [...]

Strangely, though, that is not what I experience.  Here are the
unshifted keys for me, atari-german, hebrew input mode:

  ‎‪+1234567890.(\
  ‭׳קראזוןםפ][
  ‭שדגכעיחלך>=
  ‭טסבהנמצתץ&

and the shifted ones:

  QWERTZUIOP}{
  ASDFGHJKL<@
  YXCVBNM><_

There are a few that don't match, but the Y and Z are not two of them.
This is not the case for you?

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)