Re: Issues with quail.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Issues with quail.el
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 20:28:06 +0300

> Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 11:41:40 +0300
> From: Amit Ramon <address@hidden>
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> [2018-05-07 22:33 +0300]:
>

> >I'm no expert on this, but does the fact that Dvorak keyboards need
> >special input methods tell anything useful for your use case?
>
> Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I've been using Dvorak keyboard layout
> (defined at X level, physical keyboard is standard one) with Hebrew
> input method for quite many years, and as for typing, i.e. inputting
> Hebrew characters, everything works just fine. Dvorak keyboard doesn't
> need special input method - AFAIK quail is designed to work with any
> keyboard layout - you just have to tell quail about it.
>
> The problems I'm talking about are "second order" - they are related to
> functions that display information about input methods and keyboard
> layouts.

My point was that maybe the "second-order" problems you bumped into do
need something special like Dvorak input methods do.

And we do have special input methods for Dvorak keyboard layouts,
AFAIK: e.g., see programmer-dvorak and English-dvorak.

> I spent quiet a lot of time trying to resolve the exact problem and
> how to fix it, but I have to admit that quail is quiet complex so I'd
> appreciate some directions from people who understand it better than
> me.

I'm afraid all the experts on this matter are quite silent for several
years.  But maybe someone will chime in...