Re: Issues with quail.el

From: Amit Ramon
Subject: Re: Issues with quail.el
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 11:41:40 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> [2018-05-07 22:33 +0300]:

I'm no expert on this, but does the fact that Dvorak keyboards need
special input methods tell anything useful for your use case?

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I've been using Dvorak keyboard layout
(defined at X level, physical keyboard is standard one) with Hebrew
input method for quite many years, and as for typing, i.e. inputting
Hebrew characters, everything works just fine. Dvorak keyboard doesn't
need special input method - AFAIK quail is designed to work with any
keyboard layout - you just have to tell quail about it.

The problems I'm talking about are "second order" - they are related to
functions that display information about input methods and keyboard
layouts.

I spent quiet a lot of time trying to resolve the exact problem and
how to fix it, but I have to admit that quail is quiet complex so I'd
appreciate some directions from people who understand it better than
me.

--- Amit