Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Problem burning to LG DVDRAM GSA-4167B -- ProD

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Problem burning to LG DVDRAM GSA-4167B -- ProDVD only does DVD-R
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:19:39 -0500

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 10:48 +1300, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> Pioneer A106. I.e. not Ricoh.

Pioneer is _not_ a DVD+RW firmware drive.
It is a DVD-RW firmware drive.

And Pioneer produces very _poor_ DVD+R media as a result.
I think we've been through this.

It wouldn't surprise me if your A106 is recording to the DVD+R in an
_improper_ way, using the DVD-R approach -- which is why Anand (under
Windows no less) had such poor results in his review of the 06 series a
few months back with DVD+R in Pioneer DVD-RW drives.

> Yes. Very.

Then the Pioneer must be putting the DVD+RW in DVD-R emulation mode,
something Sony/Philips _never_ supported.

DVD-RAM and DVD-RW can do such.

>  And look, here, the software agrees with me too:
> Current: DVD+RW
> Profile: DVD+R
> Profile: DVD+RW (current)
> Profile: DVD-RW sequential overwrite
> Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
> Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-ROM
> Profile: CD-RW
> Profile: CD-R
> Profile: CD-ROM

That's just the software reporting what the _drive_ says it supports,
*NOT* whether or not these formats can be written to.

> Jörg writes about -prodvd in the README dated Aug 2004 (and Oct 05):
>         only. This is the reason why support for DVD+R/RW did appear first
>         at 14.4.2003 in cdrecord-ProDVD. These drives use a completely
>         different command set and completely different usage paradigmas.
>         As I received the DVD+R/RW drive samples too late for the 2.0 release
>         (although developer samples have been available more than 6 months
>         earlier) DVD+ support is only available in release 2.01.
> The way I read that is that the software is expected to burn DVD+R(W)
> media in those drives capable of doing so. So my advice that it's
> expected to work was correct (whether I've read the -prodvd manual or
> not).

You keep mixing concepts.  I have tried to educate you on this, and how
drive support is rather varied.

Once again, even Jorg gives it to you ...

  "These drives use a completely different command set and
   completely different usage paradigmas."

CD-R/DVD-R is recorded in byte-by-byte, impossible for DVD-RW, DVD+R and
DVD+RW.

So the Pioneer must be putting the DVD+RW in DVD-R emulation mode.  Good
luck with cross drive compatibility -- especially earlier DVD players!

> Typical for people with an I-know-it-all attitude problem to not admit
> when they've been wrong. Especially when they've just let off a personal
> tirade on false grounds.

I'm not "all knowing."

You keep giving repeatedly *BAD* advise to new users based on your
*LIMITED* drive experience.

I have just about _every_ LG GSA-408x/416x model _ever_ produced.  I
know what these things can do.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden
http://thebs413.blogspot.com