Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Problem burning to LG DVDRAM GSA-4167B

From: Samson Lee
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Problem burning to LG DVDRAM GSA-4167B
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:54:36 +1100

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
Samson Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
I tried cdrecord-prodvd from
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD and it seems to write to my lg gsa-4167 ..
However, a I noticed a few problems:
1. The software reports Drive buf size : 1114112 = 1088 KB,
but the drive actually has 2MB buffer

Actually, mine says 1,8xx-something.

Hmmmm.. Just to confirm, are you also using cdrecord-prodvd 2.01b31 with LG GSA4167? Or are you using one of the 'unofficial' dvd patches?

2. When writing starts, the software says, "Starting to
write CD/DVD at speed 8 ...", but during writing, the
reported speed ranges between 1.0x and 2.1x

Did you install the free license key?  If not, you're limited
to 1-2x.  Use the "-v" option and look for the key
information to see if it works.  It's basically just a
variable that can be set in /etc/profile for all to use.

I believe I have installed the free license key. I am using the cdrecord-wrapper.sh script.

# cdrecord-wrapper.sh -version
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01b31 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Unlocked features: ProDVD Clone
Limited  features:
This copy of cdrecord is licensed for: private/research/educational_non-commercial_use

- maybe this is because the drive buffer is too small and
frequently drops below 10% full?

Sounds like a hardware configuration/performance issue.
Tell me about your ATA setup?  ;->

The drive is on secondary master. The hard drive with the .iso is on secondary slave. All devices are running udma2.

# hdparm -i /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

 Model=HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B, FwRev=DL10, SerialNo=008F6EB8663C
 Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
 RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
 BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
 (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes:  pio0 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
 AdvancedPM=no
 Drive conforms to: device does not report version:

 * signifies the current active mode

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If