Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Problem burning to LG DVDRAM GSA-4167B

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Problem burning to LG DVDRAM GSA-4167B
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 06:40:30 -0500

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 20:36 +1100, Samson Lee wrote:
> Apparently dvdrtools does not support the LG GSA-4167
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/dvdrtools-users/2005-10/msg00007.html
> Is there any other way I can burn a pre-mastered ISO-image to DVD?

The stock, GPL CDRecord 2.0 + DVD-patch in the overwhelming majority of
stock distros support this drive.  Try just using "cdrecord --version"
and noting if it is indeed the modified version.

E.g., (from Fedora Core 3 / Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4)
  $ cdrecord --version
  Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (--) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
  Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
  Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
  Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
  Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
version.

DVD Record is based on an old CDRecord 1.x release, and was only
designed for Pioneer DVD-R drives or direct licensees/implementations.

> The closest solution I have so far is to use growisofs. First, I had to
> mount the dvd.iso into a folder and then use growisofs -Z /dev/dvd
> -dvd-video /mnt/mountediso ... mounting the iso before burning is not
> always suitable

The LG GSA-4167 is not only universally format compatible, but it is
virtually supported by every single Linux method ...

- Character (byte-by-byte) recording with cdrecord+DVDpatch (GPL) or
cdrecord-ProDVD (commercial) to DVD-R

- Block record/rewrite with the kernel block driver to DVD-R/+R
(growisofs) and DVD+RW (direct mount), respectively

- Block rewriting with verify with the kernel block driver to DVD-RAM
(direct mount -- for optical archiving, not consumer usage, long story)

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden
http://thebs413.blogspot.com