Re: [Duplicity-talk] webdav in trunk broken - File /tmp/... not found lo

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] webdav in trunk broken - File /tmp/... not found locally after get from backend
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 10:38:11 -0400

On 8 May 2014 10:26, <address@hidden> wrote:
we could make 2.6.x our requirement. but i'd like to see more bugs like this one to convince me to explain users that tend not to read docs which revision number of python they need on the mailing list.
also this one seems to be pretty easy to fix by simply keeping the old urlparse if push comes to shove.

we should strive to KISS and draw the line at minor versions.

I agree that this fix is likely easy and we probably don't need to define a micro version for our py26 support.

However, I think the larger point of having a way to determine the minimum python requirement is worth considering.  A) Who are the users that have py2.6.0 and want to use duplicity?  Clearly you do.  But you're using an EOL-by-three-years distro -- what's going on there man?  :)  I hope most users wouldn't run into this problem in the first place.  We've got stuff like heartbleed out there, people should be on supported distros (though I recognize you're probably using it as a desktop machine, but still).

B) We need to consider our ability to test against the python version we declare.  If we lose easy access to py2.6.0, that could be a problem.  Supporting py24 was becoming a nightmare.

-mt