Re: Loglevels and Output ... WAS: Re: [Duplicity-talk] erroneous increme

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: Loglevels and Output ... WAS: Re: [Duplicity-talk] erroneous incrementals?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:07:25 +0200

-log-* commands do respect verbosity setting.

Maybe it really makes sense to have an (optional?) verbosity setting for the log output. In case the wrapper application prints the stdout output but also uses the log output for more detailed infos internally. When I eventually find the time to implement the log interpreting in ftplicity I might find a need for this. But this is still future.

In addition, changing a message's level so that it changes logging
names has to be done carefully too (like, moving something from DEBUG
to INFO).  If someone (really, just me at this point I think -- have
you used the logging yet Ed?) depended on a particular DEBUG message,

sorry didn't had the time to evaluate your contribution. But it is definitely on my TODO list.

but you wanted to move it to INFO, ideally we'd still log both
versions but only print the INFO one to the console for normal users.
Of course, that shouldn't happen often.

Don't the levels messages sum up as higher the level gets? Or are you pleading to treat them more like channels? ... in this specific case differences on a verify run were not stated on the s3 protocol. As other protocols do and it generally is the natural output of a verify run the log level change for this made sense. At least it seems to me.

.. ede
-mt