Re: [Duplicity-talk] success: parallel install of different versions

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] success: parallel install of different versions
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 06:54:51 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
> How can I convince the install routine to put the binaries/executables
> in a path of my choice without creating a /bin subfolder?
> The why & current status are below.
>
>>> Also I'd like to have all duplicity files in one folder (I don't see the
>>> need to separate them in a local installation). Any ideas or knowledge
>>> how achieve this? I would specify the required path on install
>>> (--install[-libs|-scripts etc.]), or is there a better way to do it? I
>>> will try the switches, but maybe someone knows them instantly from the
>>> mind and can tell them?
>>>

>> You will have only duplicity and its sub-directories.  Duplicity
>> requires the directory structure in order to find its modules.  Short of
>> editing every source file, it would not be possible to make it work with
>> only one directory level.
>>

> by :~> python setup.py install --prefix=~/_apps/duplicity-0.5.01
> --install-lib=~/_apps/duplicity-0.5.01
>
> I end up with a as flat as it gets folder structure:
> ----
> :~> ls  ~/_apps/duplicity-0.5.01/*
> /srv/www/jamoke.net//_apps/duplicity-0.5.01/duplicity-0.5.01-py2.5.egg-info
>
> /srv/www/jamoke.net//_apps/duplicity-0.5.01/bin:
> duplicity  rdiffdir
>
> /srv/www/jamoke.net//_apps/duplicity-0.5.01/duplicity:
> ... [SNIP]
>
> /srv/www/jamoke.net//_apps/duplicity-0.5.01/share:
> doc  man
> ----
>
> The sys.path entry now to add to the duplicity script is the same as
> prefix, as the libs are under $prefix/duplicity.
> I could install them under /bin
> (--install-lib=~/_apps/duplicity-0.5.01/bin) to obsolete the need to
> edit PYTHONPATH.
>
> But I'd rather like to put the executables not in  a bin folder, but
> directly in $prefix.
> Has anybody an idea how to convince the install routine to do so?

No way to do it in setup.py, but you could move them after the install.

The idea behind setup is to stay with distribution standard file naming
and location.  The CVS checkout option gives you close to what you want.
 If you want something other than that, perhaps you need to start with
the CVS checkout and write your own script based on the steps posted.

...Ken