Re: [Duplicity-talk] success: parallel install of different versions

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] success: parallel install of different versions
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 06:36:34 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
> No comments yet on the list .. thats's why I resend this message.
>
> Eventually I took the tarball from the website and installed it by
> 'prefix' under a local folder...
> This works fine. To circumvent the need to set the PYTHONPATH on every
> call I inserted it in the duplicity script by 'sys.path.insert'.

That's probably the only other solution.

> Still I am interested how to build or make it work from CVS. I don't
> have python background, please be forgiving on that. But I am quite
> experienced in programming. It didn't work out on failed python imports.
> Is it really necessary to build the application. Because python is
> script, can't I execute from the start?

I sent the CVS checkout instructions in a previous message.  I will need
to add the instructions to the CVS-README about running from the CVS
checkout directly, but here goes...

1) Do the checkout.  It will create a directory called 'duplicity'.
2) cd duplicity/duplicity
3) run "python compilec.py" to create _librsync.so
4) cd ..
5) run "./duplicity-bin -V".  You will see "duplicity $version" instead
   of the normal version number.  Versioning comes during the release.

To run outside this directory, use PYTHONPATH to set the path.

> Also I'd like to have all duplicity files in one folder (I don't see the
> need to separate them in a local installation). Any ideas or knowledge
> how achieve this? I would specify the required path on install
> (--install[-libs|-scripts etc.]), or is there a better way to do it? I
> will try the switches, but maybe someone knows them instantly from the
> mind and can tell them?

You will have only duplicity and its sub-directories.  Duplicity
requires the directory structure in order to find its modules.  Short of
editing every source file, it would not be possible to make it work with
only one directory level.

...Ken