Re: [Duplicity-talk] parallel install of different versions

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] parallel install of different versions
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:23:31 +0200

> is it possible to install two different versions in parallel? How can I
> achieve this?
> It is for testing before switching versions.

Typically this is up to the packaging system on your platform.

If you are doing manual installs fram tarballs, you can presumably
specify different prefixes when installing (I don't remember off hand
how this is done since I almost never do it manually).

What I do is that I grab the relevant version (from CVS), set
PYTHONPATH to the directory in question, and run ./duplicity-bin. For
building the rsync native library you'd want to invoke the usual
building (but not installation) procedure.

The latter is convenient if you wish to generally track CVS or often
do this type of testing. The rsync library rarely changes, to testing
the latest versino is usually just a matter of cvs update -Pd:ing and
re-running.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'