Re: [Duplicity-talk] parallel install of different versions

From: Jacob
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] parallel install of different versions
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 09:32:17 -0400

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:11:56 +0200
Edgar Soldin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> is it possible to install two different versions in parallel? How can I
> achieve this?
> It is for testing before switching versions.

This is easily done. I install duplicity locally into a folder in my home
folder (because I'm wary of using anything besides the Linux distribution's
package manager that wants to install to root), so you can use this to install
duplicity to some other locations as well.

Here's what I do:

* I have an extensive bash alias that sets up the various PATH variables to
what they need to be. I've cut out all but the ones you'll use:
export PREFIX="$HOME/opt" &&\
export PATH="$PATH:$PREFIX/bin" &&\
export
PYTHONPATH="$PYTHONPATH:$PREFIX/lib/python:$PREFIX/lib/python2.5/site-packages"
&&\
export MANPATH="$MANPATH:$PREFIX/man:$PREFIX/share/man"
* The ones I am 100% positive duplicity uses is PYTHONPATH and MANPATH. PATH is
optional, but you might want it anyway, just so you can run "duplicity" without
the full path (as shown in duplicity's README). Be sure to change "python2.5"
to "python2.4" if you're still using that version.
* You'll want to also adjust the PREFIX path to point to a different directory
for each version of duplicity. The other variables all use PREFIX, so that
makes it easy to change around.
* When installing duplicity, make sure $PREFIX is set to the right folder, and
run:
python setup.py install --prefix=$PREFIX