Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] DFEY SE

From: Isabell Long
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] DFEY SE
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 07:53:14 +0200

2009/6/26 Tim Dobson <address@hidden>:
> Robert Leverington wrote:
>>
>> We have actually had a chat about this, the generally feel was that as
>> an organisation we would need a set of defined aims/objectives before
>> doing anything much.
>
> Absolutely. I've been meaning to get this sort of thing out and defined for
> quite a while now.
>
> I think this ties in nicely with the next major project once the Logo is
> sorted (remember to VOTE!) which is to sort the website out.
>
> I know there is a lot of differing opinions on the technical solutions to
> this and for the time being I'd prefer not to go into much detail about this
> because I think clearly defining who we are and why we are is much more
> important.
>
>> Obviously it will essentially be almost identical
>> to DFEY NW, but for the south east - however it is still important to
>> completely understand why we're starting such a venture (and something
>> completely identical to DFEY NW is going to make less sense than
>> something that both brings existing DFEY initiatives to the south, as
>> well as pioneering its own ideas); any suggestions would be good.
>
> Absolutely. We essentially need a clear mission statement.
>
>> I tried to start putting down ideas, etc., but that quickly failed due
>> to lack of interest - maybe when we all have a bit more time.
>
> Well, now is a fairly good time.
>

>>> I think a DFEY-SE would get going fairly quickly - it just needs a few
>>> people to drive it. :)
>>
>> Is/does anyone know anyone else who will be interested in this?
>
> Well, that's probably not a question to ask this list.
>
> DFEY-NW pulled people from:
> * local technical mailing lists
> * linux related teen communites (teensonlinux and ##teenlinux)
> * word of mouth
> * friends of existing people
> * twitter/identi.ca
> * local tech related events
>
> I've been talking to the IT teachers & Careers people at my (ex-)Sixth form
> college and it looks like we'll start to get fed directly by at least one
> educational establishment.

Oh wow, that's good for you!

>> Currently I know of about three DFEY NW regulars who are/will be
>> located in the south east (me, Isabell, and Connor), but it would be
>> good to have more especially since we will be all located quite far
>> away from one another making meetings more challenging.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> I suggest that once we can grab you guys some infrastructure, you mail
> greater london LUG, and a few other places like that... We can also put the
> word out via microblogging & IRC...

I was thinking of joining Greater London LUG anyway at some point, it
could be interesting.  http://www.gllug.org.uk/  But they do all seem
to be grown *men* though, which kinda puts me off a bit, but I'm sure
it's fine.  I'll look into it more anyway and once we're established
if anyone fancies sending them an email, as Tim suggested, that would
be good.

> Ideally what you guys want to be aiming for is publicity from as many places
> as possible.
>
> I think the next steps forward are as follows:
>
> 1) vote on a logo
> 2) agree on a mission statement
> 3) start work on a dfey.org website
> 4) set up DFEY-SE infrastructure
> 5) organise a first DFEY-SE meeting
> 6) ping the link about DFEY-SE to every organisation, mailing list & blog on
> face of planet
> 7) cross your fingers and turn up.

Hmm.  Logo, that's a thought.  We need a website too, not that I'll be
making it!  Well, apart from content, I'm hopeless at design.

> Please, if you think there's something that could be done better or
> differently, say so - if you think you have a better idea, you probably do!
> :)

I don't, I think that is fine.  We should use twitter/identi.ca more.
I will get talking, once I get established, to people at my school
about it - there must be some people who use Linux who would be
interested!

Also one final thing, off topic, I will be leaving Bordeaux on Monday
morning and will only have internet until Sunday night and not have it
until mid to late August.  It's always the way, I go away when
something interesting requires my input!  But I'm sure you can work it
out yourselves and I'll chip in every so often when I go to places
with free WiFi to check and read emails (like McDonalds).

Isabell

--
Regards,
Isabell Long.  <address@hidden>