Re: [Denemo-devel] trouble creating parts

From: Donald J. Stewart
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] trouble creating parts
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 10:28:51 -0800

First of all, I may be 'drawing parts' incorrectly. I see that in the editor
itself (not Denemo Print View), there is

Staffs/Voices->Voices->Create Parts

or

Staffs/Voices->Voices->Create Parts (Treble First)

OR in Denemo Print View, there is a 'Part' button.

In Denemo Print View, when I click the Part button (and my cursor in the
Denemo editor is on the corresponding staff), Denemo Print View
displays the part.

It is at this point that I don't know how to 'edit' the newly created part in
the Denemo editor. I can create a PDF, but when I 'Typeset' the score,
nothing seems to happen.

Conversely, if I go into

Staffs/Voices->Voices->Create Parts, it creates a number of new staves in
my score, but no part. I'm not even quite sure what it's doing. Here, I'm
almost positive that I'm doing something wrong.

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:41:23 AM PST Richard Shann wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-11-14 at 21:49 -0800, Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> > On Saturday, November 12, 2016 12:30:07 PM PST Richard Shann
wrote:
> > > Sorry! There *is* a serious-looking error in the file as you originally
> > > posted it; near the top there is:
> > >
> > > #(define denemo-top-margin ...for they shall...)
> > >
> > > where the red-highlighting starts.
> > >
> > > it seems that in setting the top margin you inserted the text "... for
> > > they shall ..." instead of a number (such as 20). I deleted this and
> > > then ran typeset and got the sort of warning messages I wrote
about
> > > below (they refer to another copy of your file that I extracted by
> > > tortuous means earlier...)
> > >
> > > It would be good for those margin setting commands to test out
the
> > > syntax for validity before letting you insert things like that, I've put
> > > a bug report in for this.
> > >
> > > You would normally expect to be able to fix this by re-running the
> > > margin command, but in this case the bad value persists. To fix
your
> > > score open up Score->Score Properties Editor and delete the
TopMargin
> > > directive. There is a second TopMargin directive, which is (I guess)
the
> > > one where you re-edited the top margin.
> >
> > This worked. But what if I need to edit the new part?
>
> which part is "the new part", and what could stop you editing a part?
>
> >  For example, I think
> >
> > because I chose to 'hide empty measures',
>
> which command are you referring to here? (The best way to be exact in
> describing a command is to look it up in the Command Center (e.g. via
> right-clickon the menu item->Open Command Center on this
Command) and
> then copy and paste the description panel.
>
> >  a number of measures don't
> >
> > show up.
>
> "show up" in the Denemo Display or the Print View?
>
> > Is this normal behavior? Or is there something I have done
incorrectly?

> I'm struggling to understand the problem - perhaps a screenshot of
what
> you have and a description of what you are trying to do? Or create a
> tiny example of what you find to be problematic?
>
> Richard
>
> > > Let me know when if you have a problem deleting this bad directive.
> > >
> > > Richard

denemoprintB.ly:
> > 685:346:

> > unterminated