Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #41561] AVRDUDE 6.0.1/USBasp doesn't write first

From: Karsten
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #41561] AVRDUDE 6.0.1/USBasp doesn't write first bytes of flash page
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 10:41:44 +0100

Am 16.11.2015 um 10:08 schrieb Joerg Wunsch:
> As Karsten wrote:
>

> As a general rule of thumb for autoconf/automake-based projects, watch
> out for a script called "bootstrap" or "autogen.sh", and if it's
> there, just run it. ;-)

This is a good rule. :-)

> Nobody can memorize the correct sequence to run these commands, so
> every project has such a script in the tree.

Not every project. ;-)
Most projects i have to compile for myself use the old method with a ready
configure file
or they are using cmake now. I don't know why.

So here some text for a new HowTo and the README:
=================================

For Debian dependent distributions please do

$ apt-get install libelf-dev libftdi-dev libftdi1 libhidapi-dev

$ ./bootstrap
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

Some problems on the way:

Configuration summary:
----------------------
DO HAVE    libelf
DO HAVE    libusb
DO HAVE    libusb_1_0
DON'T HAVE libftdi1
DO HAVE    libftdi
DON'T HAVE libhid
DO HAVE    pthread
DISABLED   doc
ENABLED    parport
DISABLED   linuxgpio

What is libftdi1?
It seems that there are no files existing for it:

# apt-file search libftdi1
libftdi1: /usr/share/doc/libftdi1/README
libftdi1: /usr/share/doc/libftdi1/changelog.Debian.gz
libftdi1: /usr/share/doc/libftdi1/changelog.gz
libftdi1: /usr/share/doc/libftdi1/copyright
libftdi1-dbg: /usr/share/doc/libftdi1-dbg/changelog.Debian.gz
libftdi1-dbg: /usr/share/doc/libftdi1-dbg/changelog.gz
libftdi1-dbg: /usr/share/doc/libftdi1-dbg/copyright

The same problem is with libhid:

libhidapi-dev - Multi-Platform library for communication with HID devices
(development files)
libhidapi-hidraw0 - Multi-Platform library for communication with HID devices
(hidraw backend)
libhidapi-hidraw0-dbg - Debugging symbols for libhidapi-hidraw0
libhidapi-libusb0 - Multi-Platform library for communication with HID devices
(libusb backend)
libhidapi-libusb0-dbg - Debugging symbols for libhidapi-libusb0
libhidrd0 - runtime library for parsing and generating USB HID reports
libhidrd0-dbg - detached debugging symbols for libhidrd0
libhidrd0-dev - development files for parsing and generating USB HID reports

O.K. But no problem - it seems to compile. :-)

$ ./avrdude -v

avrdude: Version 6.1-20140519, compiled on Nov 16 2015 at 10:27:14
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/karsten/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file,
skipping

avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
         Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again

I will post the new compiled version in the bug report.
Thanks.