Re: [avrdude-dev] ppi speed-tuning ;-)

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] ppi speed-tuning ;-)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:58:35 -0500

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 02:24:21PM +0100, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:

> as promised here is a patch that should speed up the SPI
> communication. The idea is quite simple:

Just to follow up - I've tested Ted's and your avr.c patch to fix the
min_delay logic and repeated Ted's results.  My programming time for
an 8515 went from 2m36s down to 24.41 seconds - nearly identical
results as he got.

With this patch also applied, that time went from 24.41 seconds down
to 20.84 seconds, so that gained us another 15% or so.

The first patch was the biggie, though.  It's not often we get to see
a 6 times speed-up!

And now the big test, how fast is the STK500 for this same file /
part?  The result was 20.84 seconds!  We are now equal to the STK500
which is a very nice programmer and the fastest one I've used, until
now.

And the best thing about it - the code still verifies correctly :-)

Thanks, Jan-Hinnerk and Ted for going through all these variations,
figuring out what works and what doesn't.

BTW, Jan-Hinnerk, for not even having a PPI programmer, you are doing
pretty well :-)

Cheers,
-Brian
--