Re: [avrdude-dev] ppi speed-tuning ;-)

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] ppi speed-tuning ;-)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:50:59 -0500

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:40:17PM +0100, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:

> That's bad news. If we don't want to revert the patch, we could use
> the attached patch. Please confirm that it is working as expected.

I think it may be too early to back out the patch just yet.  I was
busy preparing about 20 boards for shipping when I ran into the
problem, and I was rather busy, so I didn't have a lot of time to dig
further.  I simply reverted the patch, didn't see the problem any
longer, and kept going.

I am using a pretty long 10-pin cable - about 60 cm, but I've never
had a problem using with the STK500 programmer.

But now that I'm rechecking some things, I'm now wondering if it was
something else.  I think that what might have happened is that I may
have ctrl-c'd AVRDUDE, then restarted it, and that is when it failed.
In fact, I think I did this a couple of times.  I'm pretty sure this
works with the STK500, but does not seem to work right with the PPI
programmer.

I normally use the STK500, so I'm used to its quirks.  It's been a
long time since I used a PPI programmer so I'm not yet in tune with
their quirks.  Thus, ctrl-c'ing AVRDUDE and the resulting download
failure the first use thereafter made me think it was something else.
The only thing I could think of was perhaps the new code.  Then, when
I backed the code out and it worked after that, that reinforced that
feeling.  But I think that was a red-herring.

So let's leave the patch for now - I think it may have been a result
of my ctrl-c'ing.  I'll keep a close watch out in the future and we'll
watch out for possible error reports.

Thanks!
-Brian