Re: [avrdude-dev] Release soon?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Release soon?
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 10:53:36 -0700

On 2 Mar 2003 at 9:45, Brian Dean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just wondering what we need to do to tidy up for a release?
> FreeBSD is preparing for their 4.8 Release and the Ports Freeze is set
> for March 5 (only critical changes after that).  It'd have been really
> great to get 'avrdude' into FreeBSD's 4.8-RELEASE, but I doubt that is
> going to happen with the short notice of the Freeze.  But miracles
> have been known to happen from time to time :-)
>
> So do we have a short list of stuff to be done?  I know the texinfo
> manual needs work.  The man page is probably OK.
>
> What about the Windows port?  Any remaining issues to be worked
> through?

I've been thinking about this anyway. I'm now in the process of
making a release of WinAVR which will include avrdude. Here are my
thoughts:

(sorry if each of these should deserve their own thread. feel free to
break out if desired.)

1. I need to try out Ted's latest automagical stuff and build the
docs on Windows; and review the docs. This will happen within a day
or two.

2. What is the status of supporting stk500 versions other than 1.10?
I remember some talk on the list, but I don't remember if support for
greater versions was added to avrdude. IIRC, there is support in uisp
for all versions and it would be great if avrdude was released with
this. Ted?

3. Users may want to know before actually using avrdude, what devices
it supports and what programmers it supports. Currently, one can
exec:
avrdude -c ?
and it will spit out a list of programmers. But if one tries:
avrdude -p ?
it will give an error message saying to specify a programmer first.
It would be nice to be able to have both the above command lines work
to list programmers or AVR devices in the config file. And then, of
course, have this in the docs as well.

4. Any objection to adding the below to the config file?
programmer
  id    = "avrisp";
  desc  = "Atmel AVR ISP";
  type  = stk500;
;

This will help in not confusing users ("no, for avrisp use the stk500
programmer")

5. Any thoughts about trying to beef up the database before release
(devices / programmers)? I'm ok if not. We can just wait for user
submissions.

6. I have a couple of items that I want to do for the Windows port
but only *after* this release. Any thoughts to starting a TODO file?

Eric