Re: [avr-libc-dev] Add lib per devide.

From: Dmitry K.
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Add lib per devide.
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:01:43 +1000

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 13:59, Weddington, Eric wrote:

> > I prefer variant avr-libc 2.0 / GCC 4.4. But I assume that
> > Dmitry would object, he prefers not to restrict the GCC
> > version for using with avr-libc.

Yes, thanks :-)

> > In this case, I agree with
> > the option to add the "lib per device" patch in avr-libc 1.8.
>
> Dmitry, could you comment on this?
>
> We have needed to do lib-per-device in avr-libc for a long time. I remember
> discussing this with Joerg and Ted Roth probably back in 2003 even. I don't
> see how we can implement this feature without limiting it to specific
> versions.

I have not stood the Anatoliy's patch in details as yet.
I shall to do it.

In general, there is a question: is it possible to avoid
any changes in GCC?  After all, it has the full set of
command line switches to point libraries?

And... Is it a good design of Avr-gcc, when any addition
new MCU leads to recompile GCC toolchain (or to install
the new WinAVR) instead to download io header and to add
a line into a small configuration file?

Regards,
Dmitry.