Re: [avr-libc-dev] Add lib per devide.

From: Anatoly Sokolov
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Add lib per devide.
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 22:30:11 +0300

> From: "Weddington, Eric" <address@hidden>
>
>> From: Anatoly Sokolov [mailto:address@hidden
>>
>> > For a feature this big, do you think that it should be
>> committed to HEAD (future 1.8) only? I think that this
>> feature should be in a new version.
>>
>> The requirement for major version number changes is that the
>> required versions of gcc and binutils have changed.
>>
>> Version the avr-libc with "lib per device", requires patch
>> for GCC, but can work with any version of GCC.
>
> Except that this is not the major version number. This is the minor version
> number.

Yes, you are right. If we make decision to use "lib per device" patch shoul be
added to HEAD only.

> I would think that if we had to tie avr-libc to a change in gcc/binutils,
> then we would go to version 2.0.
>
> Thoughts?

What minimal required version of GCC should be chosen for avr-libc 2.0?

If 4.4  then we need to add a patch to the GCC faster, GCC 4.4 it is planned to
release in January.

If  "lib per device" will be added to GCC 4.5 and avr-libc 2.0 will require GCC
4.5 then the new toolchain will be released only after one year, it is very
late.

I prefer variant avr-libc 2.0 / GCC 4.4. But I assume that Dmitry would object,
he prefers not to restrict the GCC version for using with avr-libc. In this
case, I agree with the option to add the "lib per device" patch in avr-libc 1.8.

Anatoliy.