Re: [avr-libc-dev] Add lib per devide.

From: Dmitry K.
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Add lib per devide.
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:18:53 +1000

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 02:30, Anatoly Sokolov wrote:

> You consider, it is necessary to add architectures for devices with up to
> 255 max RAM address? Yes, in this case, for this devices it will be
> possible to have more effective functions in avr-libc, but only few such
> devices, and C language is not popular for programming for them.

I am not see the strong necessity to add new arch into GCC.
This is a big work.  Also it is doubtful that it is possible
to use 8-bit address entirely in GCC.

Quite another thing is Avr-libc: such optimization is possible
with small efforts.  This concerns only a restricted number of
most popular asm functions, which are suitable for small programs
Examples are a few of string functions, EEPROM, Flash reading,
startup.  Such optimization is possible regardless of the
spliting model (full lib_per_device, restricted lib_per_device
or lib_per_project).

Regards,
Dmitry.