[avr-libc-dev] Re: Add lib per devide.

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Add lib per devide.
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:24:08 +0100

Weddington, Eric wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden org]
On Behalf Of Anatoly Sokolov Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 12:05
AM To: Bob Paddock; address@hidden Subject: Re:
[avr-libc-dev] Add lib per devide.

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Dmitry K.
<address@hidden> wrote:
I against, to build full the avr-libc library for device,
this dramatically increase compile time
By how much?  Seconds or days?

I use cygwin environment for building avr toolchain. Build time for
avr-libc is near  10 minuets. Increase in the number of libraries
from  9 (per architecture), up to 100 (per device), will cause
increase build time in ten times up to 100 minuets and more at
addition of new devices. The same for building avr-gcc.

Note to others: Using 'make -j' will help significantly in the time
it takes to build avr-libc. However, 'make -j' cannot be easily used
to build gcc, so this is the greater problem when there are 100+
devices to build libgcc for.

Have you tried using ccache? I haven't used it for compiling avrgcc or avr-libc (I haven't recompiled these myself for ages - the winavr package is too good!), but I've used it for other compilations on both cygwin and linux.

mvh.,

David