Re: [Savannah-dev] savannah/www savannah.html syncmail

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] savannah/www savannah.html syncmail
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:46:38 +0000

Hi Dan,
and welcome to the team.

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 02:50:37AM -0500, Dan Kuykendall wrote:
> CVSROOT:      /cvsroot/savannah
> Module name:  savannah
> Changes by:   Dan Kuykendall <address@hidden> 02/01/09 02:50:37
>
> Modified files:
>       www            : savannah.html
You should not edit this file directly. It is generated from doc/savannah.texi
which is the file that you should edit (I now see that while I was looking at
the changes you made, Loic has been putting them into savannah.texi and
removing the spurious www/savannah.html, so this time you don't have to worry
about it)

> Added files:
>       www            : syncmail

I think it's not a good idea to keep this python script in the web homepage.
And I don't agree either with telling project maintainers to make a copy of
it in their project/CVSROOT directories. It is more efficient and easy to
maintain if all projects use the same copy of syncmail somewhere in Savannah
(for instance /usr/local/bin) as we do with log_accum.
Notice that savannah.html already explains how to send e-mail messages with
changes to the CVS repository in the section "Sources CVS repositories", using
a program called log_accum.

log_accum can be used as syncmail to send the differences to a mailing list (I
have not fully explained this feature in savannah.html yet), or it can be used
to just send URL's pointing to where the differences can be found. Some
projects in Savannah want to use one method or the other; since log_accum has
some bugs
(http://savannah.gnu.org/pm/task.php?group_project_id=191&group_id=11&func=browse),
syncmail could be a substitute (with some modifications) or an option to
log_accum, but this is something we should explore and savannah.html should
cover the two cases together.

Could you tell me where exactly in http://www.list.org you found syncmail? I
haven't been able to find it. I'm trying to figure out why it is not packed
with Debian's mailman package. In the new version of Savannah we are trying to
get everything we need from Debian packages, so the combination of log_accum
and/or syncmail that we decide to use should go into a Debian package (I can
take care of that, but I first have to find out where syncmail comes from).

Cheers,
Jaime