Re: [Savannah-dev] savannah/www savannah.html syncmail

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] savannah/www savannah.html syncmail
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:06:47 +0000

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 04:54:22AM -0800, Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r) wrote:
> > I think it's not a good idea to keep this python script in the web homepage.
>
> I agree. I was at a loss for where to put it and figured one of you
> would help me find a better place.
Sure, we are open and adaptable to changes in the repositories. But Savannah
users in general are less adaptable, so before announcing syncmail in the
documentation, I think we should make sure it will not change to a different
location and we are really going to use it (it is not clear it is free
software).

Also notice that you committed syncmail as a non-executable file, which would
make it fail for someone following the instructions in savannah.html

> I also agree on putting it into a location such as /usr/local/bin with
> log_accum. The only reason that developers might want their own copy is
> because there are a few config settings in the syncmail file that they
> can tweak.
Those settings should be changed into comand-line options.

> I have no had any problems with syncmail inthe last year+ that I have
> been using it.
Most of us have not had any problems with log_accum either, but in the emacs
project they use lots of separate branches, which log_accum can't handle.

> > Could you tell me where exactly in http://www.list.org you found syncmail?
>
> I picked up the copy I have from sourceforge awhile back. I have not
> ever seen any other location for it. Maybe we can just be the maintainer
> of the prog because it seems orphaned and doesnt really require any
> maintance.
> If you can package a deb for it and get it into debian, that should be
> fine.
I can't, unless I find out who the author is and under what license it has
been released. As a matter of fact syncmail should not be in Savannah until we
find out who wrote it and what's its license.

Regards,
Jaime