Re: [Savannah-dev] savannah/www savannah.html syncmail

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] savannah/www savannah.html syncmail
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 04:54:22 -0800

"Jaime E. Villate" wrote:

> Hi Dan,
> and welcome to the team.

Thanks

> You should not edit this file directly. It is generated from doc/savannah.texi
> which is the file that you should edit (I now see that while I was looking at
> the changes you made, Loic has been putting them into savannah.texi and
> removing the spurious www/savannah.html, so this time you don't have to worry
> about it)

Yeah I saw after I made the commit. Loic has, as you noticed, let me
know the right way to do this.

> I think it's not a good idea to keep this python script in the web homepage.

I agree. I was at a loss for where to put it and figured one of you
would help me find a better place.

> And I don't agree either with telling project maintainers to make a copy of
> it in their project/CVSROOT directories. It is more efficient and easy to
> maintain if all projects use the same copy of syncmail somewhere in Savannah
> (for instance /usr/local/bin) as we do with log_accum.
> Notice that savannah.html already explains how to send e-mail messages with
> changes to the CVS repository in the section "Sources CVS repositories", using
> a program called log_accum.

I noticed your solution when i discovered the savannah-dev mailing list.
I think we should add the details for log_accum to the documentation I
put in about syncmail and give the developers a choice. Actually I have
no real experience with log_accum so maybe it will do everything that
syncmail will do and we can replace syncmail in the docs with log_accum.
I only tossed syncmail in there because I saw a need, had a solution and
a little time to post it.

I also agree on putting it into a location such as /usr/local/bin with
log_accum. The only reason that developers might want their own copy is
because there are a few config settings in the syncmail file that they
can tweak.

> log_accum can be used as syncmail to send the differences to a mailing list (I
> have not fully explained this feature in savannah.html yet), or it can be used
> to just send URL's pointing to where the differences can be found. Some
> projects in Savannah want to use one method or the other; since log_accum has
> some bugs

I have no had any problems with syncmail inthe last year+ that I have
been using it.

> (http://savannah.gnu.org/pm/task.php?group_project_id=191&group_id=11&func=browse),
> syncmail could be a substitute (with some modifications) or an option to
> log_accum, but this is something we should explore and savannah.html should
> cover the two cases together.

Yep

> Could you tell me where exactly in http://www.list.org you found syncmail?

I picked up the copy I have from sourceforge awhile back. I have not
ever seen any other location for it. Maybe we can just be the maintainer
of the prog because it seems orphaned and doesnt really require any
maintance.
If you can package a deb for it and get it into debian, that should be
fine.

Seek3r