ruby-tut-developer

[ruby-tut] Errata / Comments

From: Davis, James (NIH/CIT)
Subject: [ruby-tut] Errata / Comments
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:47:13 -0500

Flow Control / Loops / Counting

    Typo:
    - Here is another example. Now we use our knolwedge
    + Here is another example. Now we use our knowledge

Flow Control / Getting user input

    Phrasing:
    - Let's make the program that greets the user.
    + Let's make a program that greets the user.

Flow Control / Conditionals / Exercises

    Typos (2):
    - 2. ...  Use irb to find out wheter the characters "?" lies:
    + 2. ...  Use irb to find out whether the character "?" lies:

    Phrasing and typo:
    - Using your experience the previous question, make a program that
      accepts a character input and tells you if the character lines:
    + Using your experience with the previous question, make a program
      that accepts a character input and tells you if the character lies:

Flow Control / While loops

    Typo:
    - It's basic for is:
    + It's basic form is:

Flow Control / While loops / Powers of 2

    Typo:
    - Suppose that we want to know the highest power of 2 which is less than
1000.
    + Suppose that we want to know the highest power of 2 which is less than
10,000.

    Error in http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/ruby/0.3/chp_02/while/04.gif
    - 16384
    + 8192

    Error in http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/ruby/0.3/chp_02/while/05.gif
    - 2^17 = 131072
    + 2^16 = 65536

    Comment:
    Might want to consider using "==" above to avoid confusion with "=".

Flow Control / Writing good programs

    Typo:
    - There are two identation standards.
    + There are two indentation standards.

    Comment:
    I think I read somewhere that Matz recommends 2 spaces, non-tabbed.

More later,

- Jim -