ruby-tut-developer

[ruby-tut] Errata / Comments

From: Davis, James (NIH/CIT)
Subject: [ruby-tut] Errata / Comments
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:52:59 -0500

Errata / Comments regarding Daniel Carrera's Ruby Tutorial

Forgot this yesterday:
Where to get help / Documentation / Books

    Programming Ruby (PickAxe)
        - Author: David Thomas
        + Author: David Thomas and Andrew Hunt

Forgot this yesterday:
The Basics / Interactive Ruby / Very large and very small numbers
    Might want to explain that e is for (e)xponential or scientific
    notation.  Not to be confused with E.

The Basics / Strings

   A nit:
   - The word we use for groups of letters is string.
   + The word we use for groups of characters is string.

The Basics / Strings / Exercises

   Suggested String exercises:
   + Spell your name backwards.
   + What might "Daniel".reverse.reverse produce?
   + Now spell your middle name backwards, make it lowercase, and
     capitalize the first letter.  (If you don't have a middle name,
     use your given name.)  Try it with family members' names, the
     neighbor's dog, etc.
   + Try the previous exercise again, but without making the name lowercase.
   + What is special about this phrase: "A man a plan a canal Panama"?
   + Can you predict the result of "".empty?
   + Can you predict the result of "Zoo".include? "oo"
   = Play around with strings for a bit.

More later,

- Jim -