Re: Source code, git and cvs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Source code, git and cvs
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 21:31:14 +0300

> Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:33:41 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > > README should describe both immediately at the start. Not just about
> > > installing from the tarball.
> >

> > We clearly disagree.
>
> Of course, hide it and make things more difficult for new users.   And then
> expect them to figure out things by themselves.   And when they ask questions,
> never be straightforward and give them the code they need to use.  It is their
> job to go through the ever increasing obfuscation of information embedded
> within
> deeper and deeper levels of cyclomatic complexity.  Classic example of
> development
> malpractice.

You should stop your arrogant and rude remarks about project practices
that you just learned yesterday.  It is not wise, to say the least, to
show your ignorance by claiming you are right even after you have been
pointed to your mistakes and stuff you missed in the docs.

The README, INSTALL, etc. files in the top-level directory are the
result of many years of experience and many users contributing to
them, they are not just random text that was written yesterday and
therefore needs to be polished.  It's already polished, so any change
you suggest based on 5 sec of thought is more than likely to have
downsides that were already considered and rejected in the long
history of Emacs development.

You have ample opportunity to exercise some humility and learn (and
you have a lot to learn, believe me) before you get to the position
where you might "know better", and have the moral right to teach us
what is "malpractice".  Suggest to use that opportunity.