RE: [External] : menu-item uses no dot period before item-property-list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : menu-item uses no dot period before item-property-list in examples
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 19:26:17 +0000

> Have looked at the reference manual section
>
> 2.4.6.2 Dotted Pair Notation
>
> I do view it as very comprehensive.  Perhaps it can be elaborated
> about the thing happening with
>
> (menu-item item-name real-binding . item-property-list)
>
> Or do you think it is good enough for understanding
> the above clause readily without expert experience?

You might be a better judge of that, as it's still
new to you.  Enhancement suggestions are always
welcome (`M-x report-emacs-bug').  But please do be
specific - point out what you find confusing, or what
you'd propose as a specific change.

I do think that experience (expert or not) helps,
including experience/familiarity with Emacs's help
and doc.

But note that the Elisp manual isn't designed as a
tutorial.  Its foremost aim isn't teaching (learning);
it's reference, with some explanation.

A good place to start, for learning Elisp, is this
manual: "An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp",
available within Emacs: `C-h i emacs l TAB'.

However, looking into it now I see that it apparently
doesn't cover dotted lists, dot notation, backquote,
etc.  The only occurrences of dot notation are in two
examples of an alist (with no explanation).

I'd say that its coverage of lists could benefit from
some introduction to dotted lists as such, and dot
notation.  But others might disagree.  (For one thing,
it would help users read the Elisp manual. ;-))

See also this page of Emacs Wiki:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LearnEmacsLisp